Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of the Rest of Life!

I will not cry, I will not cry. How many time do I have to say that to make sure it doesn't happen? I know I should be terrified that I'm starting a career and that I'm going to be the lone adult in a room full of 7th graders, but I'm not...really. Sure there's some anxiety there. Not terror though. I know I can do it.

What really has got my cage rattled is leaving this house, my place of calm and peace, to go out into that world, without my babies! I have gone to the first day of school every year since Kourtni was in Kindergarten. I take pictures, hold their hands, tell them I love them over and over. I make sure lunches are packed, supplies are in, & that there is a note in their lunch box to reassure them mid-day that I love them. Although i still did most of those things, I will not be able to make the walk to the front door with my babies.

I decided to not ask my principal to come about 15 minutes late so I could go with Kourtni & Brea. I think it'll be even harder if I have to take them and leave them. So I'll leave home early this morning. I'm building in cry and wipe time. I'll need time to put in my eye drops so I won't look like I've been smoking herbs! I think I'm strong enough for this but I don't know.

Kourtni is off to 6th grade and Brea off to 3rd. Since I plan to work for the foreseeable future, this won't be the only thing I may have to miss out on. I know people do this everyday & some people have never taken their kids to the first day of school. I, however, take great pride in the fact that I have, every year, of their beautiful little lives.

I'm thankful to GOD that I had so many years to share holding hands, tying shoes, and packing lunches full-time with my girls. This is just a modification to all the love I have for then. It'll be ok, it'll be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment